Search This Blog

Pageviews past week

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

poker player is stuck

Not, in a financial sense, and not in a traffic jam or in the mud.  More in a physical sense.  Way back in april, I tried jumping a horse I was not very familiar with in a jumping competition, but he refused the first fence, and ended up carting me around the arena at least 4 times, when I eventually asked for assistance, to help me.  I came back later during the day jumping lower fences and asked for assistance from one of my instructors. We refused the first fence again but after I was given some advise, we managed to jump clear.  I decided to quit after the one round as I wasn't feeling very confident. A couple of days later, I woke up with a stiff right arm.  Naturally, I assumed that this would get better in a week or so, but it didn't.  I spoke to an orthopaedic surgeon (who is in our riding club), and he told me to come in to his hospital clinic on the next thursday. He sent me for x-rays which confirmed that I had tendonitis in the rotator cuff muscles on my right hand side.  These are a small group of muscles which control virtually all of your shoulder movements.  I was given an injection into the muscle which was a combination of steroid and painkiller.

I then decided to try some acupuncture, which helped relieve the symptoms considerably, but after one session when I was lying on my back, I was in agony if I tried to move my right arm.  It had to be massaged a bit more and this eventually freed it.

The regular acupuncturist went on holiday, and the replacement tried a completely different technique, and I immediately had the same problem with my right arm. I had to request the needles be taken out straight away.
That evening day I decided to go to the healthcare clinic and they diagnosed that I had a condition called frozen shoulder.  (ie it was stuck). They put me in a shoulder harness, and gave me some medication and a letter for the orthopaedic surgeon.  At this stage I decided to give up my horseriding lessons for a while. 


I had to wait for him to come back from holiday, and he basically agreed with the diagnosis from the clinic, and he organised an MRI scan and  to put me in to hospital for a day to have a procedure known as MUA.  (Manipulation under Anaesthetic).

Its amazing, but you don't really know how much you use your shoulder muscles, until you don't have the use of them.  I being right handed, was virtually living as a one armed person.   I could still drive, but had to be careful turning, so I adjusted my normal route to work to eliminate as much turns as possible.  I had to take my jumpers off with just my left hand.

Well I had the procedure yesterday, and afterwards the surgeon told me that my shoulder was really stuck. 
Fortunately, the procedure went well, but now I have to do physiotherapy exercises at home, 3 times a day.
I also have to go in to the hospital tomorrow and see the physiotherapist (at 7.30 am). This will also be a regular occurrence, and I'll find out tomorrow for how often and how long the whole process would last.

The good thing now is that I have so much more freedom of movement.  However, this has been one of the reasons why I haven't been posting as much or playing as much poker.

Anyway its time for me to do my last exercises of the day now














2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the shoulder is improving.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. Just need my poker to improve now!

    ReplyDelete